Take a Class With Us!
We offer a variety of empowered self-defense programming for individuals, workplaces, and community groups. See what programs we have coming up and REGISTER HERE.
Make a donation to help us continue to make these programs available to everyone, regardless of ability to pay. Safety should be a right, not a privilege…
Become an Instructor
Instructors work to give people the skills they need to be safe and create change in the world.
IMPACT Safety seeks part-time “Suited” and “Whistle” Personal Safety Instructors. This position requires extensive training as work is performed as part of a teaching team. Work involves teaching people of all ages the emotional and physical personal safety skills of awareness, boundary-setting, and full-force physical defense skills. Preference given to individuals with diverse backgrounds, and IMPACT graduates/assistants.
Preferred Minimum qualifications for Instructor Candidates:
- Bachelor’s degree/related educational experience
- Some experience with teaching, counseling, martial arts, athletics, youth development, work with trauma survivors, criminal justice, or personal safety
- Demonstrated capability in working with people of all ages, gender and nationalities
- Ability to respond appropriately to emotional or crisis situations
- Ability and willingness to teach a physically and emotionally demanding curriculum
- Ability to synthesize information and participate in the feedback process
- Possesses self-awareness, self-confidence, understanding of professionalism
- Ability and willingness to provide support to individuals of all ages through a training process that at times may be difficult and emotionally charged
- Experience working with people with physical and intellectual disabilities is a plusCompetency or Fluency in Spanish, and/or ASL is a plus
- Emotionally intelligent and has the ability to set and maintain boundaries
- Excellent communicator
- Schedule flexibility, especially during daytime hours
- Reliable transportation, email, and cell phone
- Availability to receive and respond to communications during business hours
Americans with Disability Specifications
These are representative job tasks that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In performing the job duties; the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Additional physical demands include modeling and teaching full-force self-defense techniques including knee strikes, elbow strikes, use of hands and arms in self-defense and kicking. Suited instructors must be physically able to move while wearing approximately 50 pounds of body armor and, while wearing the armor, sustain full-force strikes to the head and groin area.
Work environment characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
If you would like to join our team contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Course Assistant or Volunteer
Donate your time with IMPACT and support our 25 years of teaching empowerment self-defense. If you would like to join our team contact us at email@example.com.
There are ways you can sponsor a person to take one of our courses or help bring a program to a group or organization. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your sponsorship ideas with us.
Spread the word about IMPACT’s programming to organizations, businesses, groups, schools, or people you know.